International Activities of CPS Members
The Canadian Population Society (CPS) members are engaged in population-related activities worldwide. They are:
The following is a selection of recent international activities of CPS members.
Recent international publications:
- Aysan, Mehmet and Roderic Beaujot. 2009. Welfare Regimes for Aging Populations: No Single Path for Reform. Population and Development Review 35(4): 701-720.
- Beaujot, Roderic. 2009. Canada’s population in global context: An introduction to social demography, by Frank Trovato, Reviewed in American Review of Canadian Studies 39(3): 303-305.
- Boyd, Monica and Joanne Nowak. 2010 (forthcoming). Social Networks and International Migration. In Jan Rath (ed.) International Migration and Immigrant Incorporation: The Dynamics of Globalization and Ethnic Diversity in European Life. Amsterdam: University of Amsterdam Press, IMISCOE.
- Boyd, Monica and Joanne Nowak, Stella Park and Jessica Yiu. 2009. Second Generation. In Social and Pastoral Dictionary/Dizionari San Paolo. Rome: Scalabrini International Migration Institute (SIMI).
- Erfani, Amir and Kevin McQuillan. 2008. Lifetime abortion rate in Iran is estimated to be one per four women, International Family Planning Perspectives, 34 (3): 147.
- Erfani, Amir and Kevin McQuillan. 2008. Rates of induced abortion in Iran: the roles of contraceptive use and religiosity, Studies in Family Planning, 39(2):111-122.
- Erfani, Amir and Kevin McQuillan. 2008. Rapid Fertility Decline in Iran: Analysis of Intermediate Variables, Journal of Biosocial Science, 40(3): 459-478.
- Gazso, Amber & Susan A. McDaniel. 2010 (forthcoming, accepted 12/12/09). The Risks of Being a Lone Mother on Income Support in Canada and the United States, International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy 30(9/10).
- Keays, S., Wister, A.V., & Gutman, G. 2009. Characteristics of administrators and quality of care in Long Term Care facilities. Journal of Housing for the Elderly. 23(3):243-260.
- McDaniel, Susan A. 2010. Family Change and Life Course Development: Social Transformation on Intimate Frontiers, Chapter 13 in Arnaud Sales (Ed.), Sociology Today: Social Transformations in a Globalizing World. London: Sage, UK.
- McDaniel, Susan A. 2009. The Conundrum of Demographic Aging and Policy Challenges: A Comparative Case Study of Canada, Japan and Korea, Canadian Studies in Population 36(1):35-61
- McDaniel, Susan A. 2009. Challenging Gerontology’s Empirical Molehills: A commentary on Powell’s Foucauldian toolkit, Journal of Applied Gerontology (28): 685-689.
- McDaniel, Susan A. 2009. Socio-Economic Insecurity and the Global Welfare State Divide: Sociology’s Contribution to Public Knowledge, in Morato, Arturo Rodriguez, (Ed.), Sociology’s Interventions in Public Debates. London, UK: Sage.
- McDaniel, Susan A. 2009. Precarious Disciplinary Intersections and Inconvenient Truths: Sociology in Search, in Kalekin, Devorah (Ed.), Sociology as a Public Discipline. London, UK: Sage.
- Nasvadi, G. & Wister, A.V. 2009. Do restricted driver’s licenses lower crash risk among older drivers? A survival analysis of insurance data from British Columbia. The Gerontologist. 49(4): 474-484.
- Omariba, D. Walter, Fernando Rajulton and Roderic Beaujot. 2008. Correlated mortality of siblings in Kenya: The role of state dependence. Demographic Research 18(11): 311-336.
- Theurer, K. & Wister, A.V. 2010. Altruistic behaviour and social capital as predictors of well-being in older Canadian adults. Ageing and Society, 30:157-181.
Recent presentations at international conferences:
Several members attended the 26th International Union for the Scientific Study of Population (IUSSP) International Population Conference where they organized sessions, presented and participated. Here are some recent presentations of CPS members in international contexts, including the IUSSP Conference.
- Beaujot, Roderic and Juyan Wang. 2009. Low fertility “lite” in Canada: The Nordic model in Quebec and the U.S. model in Alberta. Paper presented at the meetings of the Population Association of America, Detroit, 30 April – 2 May, 2009.
- Beaujot, Rod. Member of Conference Organizing Committee, Association Internationale de Démographes de Langue Française, Quebec City, 25-29 August 2008.
- Boyd, Monica. 2010. Invited Presentation. Canada’s ‘isms and Immigrant Language Acquisition. Thematic Session on Language and Citizenship: American Sociological Association annual meeting. Dallas, Texas, August 14-17.
- Boyd, Monica. 2010. Language Proficiency and the Civic Participation of Immigrants. Presented at the 4th International Conference on Sociology, Athens Institute for Education and Research. Athens, May 10-13.
- Boyd, Monica. 2009. Immigrant Generations at the Starting Gate: Race, Color and Labour Market Integration. Presented in the “Assimilation in International and Comparative Perspectives” session of the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association, San Francisco, August 8-11.
- Boyd, Monica and Lisa Kaida. 2009. The Labour Market Integration of Foreign Trained Engineers in Canada: Does Gender Matter? Presented in “The role of highly skilled workers in socio-economic development” session of the IUSSP, Marrakesh, Morocco, September 27-October 2.
- Boyd, Monica. In 2009-2010 Monica Boyd served as chair-elect of the International Migration Section of the American Sociology Association; she will serve as chair in 2010-2011.
- Edmonston, Barry. April, 2010. Organizer and Chair, Joint CPS-PAA Session, How Do Early Life Conditions Affect Fertility and Mortality? Consensus and Controversies. Population Association of America annual meeting, Dallas, Texas.
- Edmonston, Barry, Sharon M. Lee, and Zheng Wu. April, 2010. A Tale of Three Cities: Housing and Immigrants in Canada. Paper to be presented at the Population Association of America annual meeting, Dallas, Texas.
- Erfani, Amir. October, 2009. Contraceptive Method Choice & Knowledge among Birth Stoppers in Iran: Implications for Unwanted Pregnancy & Induced Abortion, presented in the 5th Asia Pacific Conference on Reproductive and Sexual Health and Rights (APCRSHR), Beijing, China 18th-20th October 2009.
- Erfani, Amir. Organized and ran a three-day workshop on “Application of advanced multivariate regression models in demographic and health studies” in the Population Studies and Research Center for Asia and Pacific, in Iran (Summer 2009).
- Keays, S., Wister, A., & Gutman, G. 2009. Characteristics of Administrators and Quality of Care in Ontario, Canada Long Term Care Facilities. Paper presentation at the 19th World Congress of the International Association on Gerontology and Geriatrics, Paris, France, July 6-9th.
- Lee, Sharon M. and Barry Edmonston. September 2009. Identifying with a National Ancestry or Ethnic Origin: A Comparative study of Australia, Canada, and the United States. Paper presented at the Congress of the IUSSP, Marrakesh, Morocco.
- Lee, Sharon M. and Barry Edmonston. April, 2010. Does Age at Immigration Matter? A Comparison of Asian Immigrants in Canada and the United States. Paper to be presented at the Population Association of America annual meeting, Dallas, Texas.
- McDaniel, Susan. 2010. Health Trajectories from Mid to Later Life: Are Canadian and American Differentials Widening? International Council for Canadian Studies, 29-30 May 2010, Montreal (refereed).
- McDaniel, Susan. 2010. The Welfare State in Aging Societies: Comparing the Production/Protection Nexus in Canada and Japan,” ISA World Congress of Sociology, RC 11, session on Ageing societies and the welfare state, Goteburg, Sweden, July 2010.
- McDaniel, Susan. 2009. “Is Population the Problem?” Keynote address, International Public Forum on Food and Population, Toronto, 20 November 2009.
- McDaniel, Susan and Amber Gazso. 2009. “The Risky Business of Being a Lone Mother on Income Support in Canada and the U.S.,” Paper presented at the Pacific Sociological Association meetings, San Diego, April 2009.
- McDaniel, Susan and Juliea Rozanova, Norah Keating, Herb Northcott. 2009. Social engagement of older rural Canadians: constraints and facilitators of choice, World Congress of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Paris, July 2009.
- McDaniel, Susan and Amber Gazso. 2009. Differences that Amplify: Canadians and Americans in Midlife Looking to the Later Years. International Sociological Association, RC 19, Montreal, Quebec, August 2009.
- McDaniel, Susan. 2009. Welfare Capitalism and the Production/Protection Nexus in Japan: Potential Implications for Other Aging Societies, Japan Studies Association of Canada, October 2009.
- Moyser, Melissa and Monica Boyd. 2009. The Intergenerational Economic Incorporation of European Immigrants in Canada, 1970-2000: Is Straight-Line Assimilation Uniform by Ethnicity? Presented at the annual meeting of the Population Association of America. Detroit, April 30-May 2.
- Ravanera, Zenaida and Roderic Beaujot. 2009. Life course and structural factors in childlessness: the waiting game and constrained choices in the Second Demographic transition. Paper presented at the Congress of the IUSSP, Marrakesh, Morocco, September 2009.
- Ravanera, Zenaida. 2009. Organized two sessions: (1) Men’s involvement in children’s lives (chair – Zenaida Ravanera); and (2) Men and children: childbearing and childrearing (chair – Rod Beaujot) at the IUSSP meetings, Marrakesh, Morocco.
- Ravanera, Zenaida and Rod Beaujot. 2009. At the IUSSP poster session, presented a paper: Lifecourse and structural factors in childlessness: The Second demographic transition and incomplete gender revolution. Marrakesh, Morocco.
- Shida, Naoko and Monica Boyd. 2009. Unstable Ethnicities: Impacts of Question Wording and Respondent Characteristics. Presented at the annual meeting of the Population Association of America. Detroit, April 30-May 2.
- Simmons, Alan. 2009. "Migration, remittances and development." Paper presented to the VIII Encuentro de Postgrados Iberoamericanos sobre Desarrollo y Politicas Territoriales, Manizales, Colombia, August 5-8, 2009.
- Wister, A., Beattie, L., Gallagher, E., Gutman, G., Hemingway, D., Reid, C., Sinden, D., & Symes, B. 2009. A shared leadership network model: An Innovative organizational structure of the BC Network for Aging Research (BCNAR). Poster presentation at the 19th World Congress of the International Association on Gerontology and Geriatrics, Paris, France, July 6-9th.
- Worts, Diana and Monica Boyd. 2009. Gendered Pathways to Proficiency: The Impact of Family and Paid Work on English-Language Acquisition. Presented at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association, San Francisco, August 8-11.
- Yon, Y., Wister, A., Gutman, G., & Mitchell, B. 2009. The Canadian Comparison of Spousal Abuse in Mid-and-Old Aged: Is Elder Abuse Simply a Case of Spousal Abuse Grown Old? Poster presentation at the 19th World Congress of the International Association on Gerontology and Geriatrics, Paris, France, July 6-9th.
- Beaujot, Rod: Principal Investigator of the SSHRC funded Strategic Knowledge Cluster on Population Change and Lifecourse, which has colleagues from Europe on the Advisory Council, and includes several international members.
- Erfani, Amir 2009/July-Jan/2011 Research Project funded by the Population Studies and Research Center for Asia and Pacific (PSRC) in Iran. Principal Investigator in the project of “Reproductive health challenges of Iranian women: unintended pregnancy, unsafe abortion, and inequality in the timing of births”.
- McDaniel, Susan: “Income Inequalities and Later Life Health Risks: A Canada/US Comparison,” Funded by the Canadian Embassy, Washington DC. Research team includes researchers from the US as well as Canada
- McDaniel, Susan: Research in Japan, collaborating with researchers at Kyoto University
- McDaniel, Susan: Susan will be bringing in a post-doctoral fellow from the Netherlands, Spring 2010
- Simmons, Alan: In 2009 Alan and others received a small grant from the International Development Research Centre to work with researchers in Latin America and the Caribbean in a project on "migration,and development" over the period 2009-2010.
- Wu, Zheng. Zheng is working with a number of colleagues in China on several research projects. He has been visiting Xi’an Jiaotong University every year and will visit and work there again in July 2010.
Supervising international students:
- Beaujot, Rod: Rod is supervising Ph.D. students from Turkey, China and Pakistan
- Erfani, Amir. Amir is supervising a Ph.D. student in the Department of Demography, Tehran University, Iran
- McDaniel, Susan: Susan supervised a Ph.D. student from Russia who completed her doctorate in 2009.
- Wu, Zheng: Zheng is hosting 2 visiting doctoral students from China under the China Scholarship Council Program. He is also co-supervising a Ph.D. student at Xi’an Jiaotong University.
Taking sabbaticals outside of Canada, providing consultation services in other countries or for international organizations, or involved with the United Nations (UN) or its agencies:
- Beaujot, Roderic. 2009. “Rapporteur’s summary” Pp. 168-169 in How Generations and Gender Shape Demographic Change, Conference Proceedings. New York and Geneva: United Nations.
- Boyd, Monica. Monica was Visiting Scholar, Department of Sociology and Center for Center for Demographic and Social Analysis, University of California, Irvine, Winter Quarter, January-March 2010.
- Boyd, Monica. Monica was also an invited participant, U. S. Bureau of the Census, Suitland Working Group Meeting on Using Household Surveys to Measure Migration and the Size, Distribution, and Characteristics of Migrant Populations. March 16-17, 2009 Washington D.C.
- Dryburgh, Heather. Heather was invited to present and participate in the UN Global Forum on Gender Statistics in January 2009 in Ghana. Until October 2009 she was on the Gender Statistics Database subcommittee of the UN Economic Commission for Europe.
Other international activities include:
- Erfani, Amir: Amir won an international award; the 2009-10 DHS Fellowship in Population and Health awarded by ICF Macro, an international company in Demographic and Health Research in the USA. Of more than 200 applications, 16 were selected for funding by the fellowship committee.
- McDaniel, Susan: Susan was a reviewer in the following capacities:
- Expert Reviewer, National Science Foundation, United States.
- Reviewer/Assessor, New Zealand Foundation for Research, Science and Technology, New Zealand.
- International Reviewer, Netherlands Research Council on Health, Netherlands.